The 2019 Hugo Awards will be presented at Worldcon 77 in Dublin, Ireland, on August 18. The Hugo Award finalists are chosen by readers who are voting members of Worldcon. This week we’ll talk about the novels and novellas. We discussed other categories in previous columns.
Click the title links below to read our reviews and on the author links to visit our page for the author. Most of these works are, not surprisingly, the same ones nominated for the Nebula Awards.
Who do you think will win the Hugo Award in these categories?
Answer below for a chance to win a book from our stacks.
- The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal, Tor
- Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik, Del Rey/Macmillan
- Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse, Saga Press
- Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers, Hodder & Stoughton / Harper Voyager
- Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente, Saga
- Revenant Gun by Yoon Ha Lee, Solaris
- Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach by Kelly Robson, Tor.com Publishing
- The Black God’s Drums by P. Djèlí Clark, Tor.com publishing
- Artificial Condition by Martha Wells, Tor.com publishing
- The Tea Master and the Detective by Aliette de Bodard, Subterranean Press
- Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire, Tor.com publishing
- Binti: The Night Masquerade by Nnedi Okorafor, Tor.com publishing
Which stories have you read? Who do you predict will win? Who do you want to win?
Give us your thoughts and predictions in the comments. One random commenter with a USA mailing address will win a book from our stacks.
Good luck to all the finalists!
Best Novel: “The Calculating Stars” by Mary Robinette Kowal. A potential winner would be “Spinning Silver” by Naomi Novik; upset “Trail of Lightning” by Rebecca Roanhorse.
Best Novella: I want to say “The Black God’s Drums” by P. Djeli Clark, but “The Tea Master and the Detective” by Aliette de Bodard will win it! Honestly, all of the novellas were great, so it’s hard to choose a potential winner.
Best novel: Spinning Silver
Best novela: either Beneath the Sugar Sky or Binti: The Night Masquerade.
Trail of lightning and Beneath the Sugar Sky.
Best Novel: Spinning Silver
Best Novella: Beneath the Sugar Sky
The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal
The Tea Master and the Detective by Aliette de Bodard
“Trail of Lightning” for Novel and “The Tea Master and the Detective” for Novella.
Kowal’s The Calculating Stars for the best novel and Clark’s The Black God’s Drums for the best novella.
Best Novel: Spinning Silver
Best Novella: The Tea Master and the Detective.
Hmm. I will guess “Spinning Silver” for best novel!
Sethia, if you live in the USA, you win a book of your choice from our stacks.
Please contact me (Marion) with your choice and a US address. Happy reading!
Sethia, I got it today and I’ll get on that this afternoon.
My voting will be:
1. Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik
2. Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers
3. Revenant Gun by Yoon Ha Lee
4. The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal
5. Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse
6. Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente
Hey Marion, I was having trouble with my email. Did you get the one I sent you?