The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America’s 54th Annual Nebula conference (May 16-19) will be held in Los Angeles, and the 2018 Nebula Awards will be announced on Saturday, May 18, 2019.
Today let’s talk about the finalists for Best Novelette and Best Short Story. We’ll talk about other categories in future columns.
Here are the finalists in these categories. Click the links to read our reviews and get the links to the stories:
- “An Agent of Utopia” by Andy Duncan, Small Beer Press
- The Only Harmless Great Thing by Brooke Bolander, Tor.com
- “The Last Banquet of Temporal Confections” by Tina Connolly, Tor.com
- “The Substance of My Lives, the Accidents of Our Births” by José Pablo Iriarte, Lightspeed
- “The Rule of Three” by Lawrence M. Schoen, Future SF Digest
- “Messenger” by Yudhanjaya Wijeratne & R.R. Virdi, LMBPN
BEST SHORT STORY:
- “The Secret Lives of the Nine Negro Teeth of George Washington” by P. Djèlí Clark, Fireside
- “A Witch’s Guide to Escape: A Practical Compendium of Portal Fantasies” by Alix E. Harrow, Apex
- “The Court Magician” by Sarah Pinsker, Lightspeed
- “Interview for the End of the World”by Rhett C. Bruno, Aethon Books
- “Going Dark” by Richard Fox, Bayonet Books
- “And Yet” by A.T. Greenblatt, Uncanny
Which stories have you read? Who do you predict will win? Who do you want to win?
Give us your thoughts and predictions in the comments. One random commenter with a USA mailing address will win a book from our stacks.
Good luck to all the finalists!